Strategic and Operational KPIs
($1 billion provider of insights and analytics to accelerate the pace of innovation)
- This is a subscription-based company that relies on providing updated and relevant information to its subscribers.
- Their data warehouse had information dating back as far as the 1950s.
- Due to several home-grown, not-interfaced systems, it was not feasible to reconcile data ingested with data outputs.
- Also, it was not possible to track the status of the data in the process.
- Our mandate was to develop KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) and/or reports to address their concerns.
- Determined the Critical Success Factors (CSFs).
- CSF’s are the few areas, if performed satisfactorily, would ensure the successful and timely processing of data within the data warehouse and related systems.
- Determined the KPIs needed for each CSF. They were related to timeliness, completeness, accuracy, and data location.
- Defined how the KPIs would be calculated.
- Used a data visualization system called KIBANA to automate KPI’s calculations and reports creation.
- The creation of strategic and operational KPIs enabled the company to manage this process better using a data-driven approach.
- KPIs also provided a common point of reference so that everyone knew exactly what was important, ensuring that tasks and projects were aligned across teams and departments.